Here is a beautiful gluten free, flour free Spanish almond & orange cake. This recipe comes from Nutritional Therapist Bea Lyus and uses just four ingredients.
You will need:
2 oranges, washed & roughly chopped (skin on)
2.5 cups of ground almonds
5 eggs separated
1 cup of coconut sugar or 2/3 of a cup honey.
- Place the chopped oranges in a small saucepan. Add 1 tbsp water, then cover the pan and simmer gently for 30 min or until the oranges are soft and all the excess liquid has evaporated. Leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Line the bottom and sides of a 23 cm (9 in.) springform cake pan with parchment paper.
- Finely chop the oranges in a food processor or blender, or with a sharp knife.
- Place the egg whites in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until they form stiff peaks.
- Gradually add half the caster sugar, then beat for 1 minute.
- Place the egg yolks and the remaining sugar in another bowl and, using the same beaters, beat for 2–3 min or until pale and quite thick.
- Add the oranges and beat to combine well.
- Carefully fold in the ground almonds with a large metal spoon.
- Stir in 3 spoonfuls of the egg whites to loosen the mixture, then gently fold in the remaining whites.
- Transfer the mixture to the pan and level the surface.
- Sprinkle with the flaked almonds.
Bake for 50–55 minutes or until the orange and almond cake is golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Check the cake after 20 minutes and again at 30 minutes, and cover lightly with foil if it is browning too quickly.